Escape Manila for a day and scratch your climbing itch on 40 to 80 foot limestone sport routes of 5.7 to 5.12b (French 5a to 7b).
Though not exactly near Manila – it is a good 5 hours away – Atimonan is the climbing destination of choice for Manila-based climbers because of its quality climbs, scenic surroundings and excellently maintained routes. Most of the routes are bolted and sport climbing is the norm, though a few trad routes can also be found. The climbing in general demands technique more than power, with no severe overhangs but with few jugs. The majority of the routes are face climbs, with a couple of crack climbs and one very enjoyable arête
Highlights and activities
- Climb on clean, solid limestone.
- Kick back and enjoy the fresh air and rural scenery.
- rock climbing
Day 1: To and back from Atimonan
We do an alpine start and take a bus from Manila at 3:00AM (we can start later if you want, but leaving this early will make the most out of your climbing day). This gets us to Atimonan at around 8:00AM and a 15-minute hike brings us to our first crag. After a quick review of climbing safety and procedures we start scaling the 80 foot wall. Ten bolted sport routes are on this wall, ranging from 5.7 to 5.12a (French 5a to 7a+). We take a break for lunch and in the afternoon have the option of returning to the same wall or taking a crack at any of 3 other walls. At around 4:00PM we start packing our gear and catch a bus back to Manila.
Safe climbing is 100% weather dependent and we will not climb in the rain. Although the rainy season in the Philippines is from July to October, rain can occur in any month. We will inform you of the weather forecast for your chosen climbing day and you may decide to postpone or cancel your trip up until 12PM of the previous day. Should you choose to cancel your trip due to weather, your payment will be refunded in full, less applicable credit card charges.
This adventure is offered from November to June. Contact us to schedule your Private Tour.
- Transportation from Manila to Atimonan and back.
- Group equipment (rope and quickdraws).
- Climbing guide.
- Personal equipment (harness, rock shoes and belay device).
- Food and drink other than lunch.
Price is already inclusive of VAT (value added tax).
- Though we gladly accommodate novice climbers, this trip is not meant for complete beginners. Your climbing guide will be happy to lead all the routes if you don't want to do any leading, but at least one person in your group must know how to belay a leader from his/her harness.
- Safe climbing is 100% weather dependent and we will not climb in the rain. Although the rainy season in the Philippines is from July to October, rain can occur in any month. We will inform you of the weather forecast for your chosen climbing day and you may decide to postpone or cancel your trip up until 12:00PM of the previous day. Should you choose to cancel your trip due to weather, your payment will be refunded in full, less applicable credit card charges.
- Yellow fever vaccination is required for entry to the Philippines if you are coming from a yellow-fever infected country; if you are not, this vaccination is unnecessary. The following vaccinations are recommended:
- Hepatitis A and B
- Japanese encephalitis
- Measles, mumps and rubella
Check out our other offerings
Taal Day Tour: Taal Lake, Taal Volcano, and Taal Heritage Town
Ride a boat across the lake of a huge caldera, trek up to the crater rim of an active volcano and visit a historic town that survived the volcano's last major eruption.
Best of Batangas: Taal Volcano, Taal Heritage Town, and Anilao Marine Reserve
Trek up to the crater rim of an active volcano, marvel at the Filipino-Spanish architecture of preserved houses and churches and experience excellent snorkeling with rich marine life all within three hours of Manila.
Relax in the quiet and solitude of your own elegant Asian villa surrounded by trees and fronted by a private beach of white sand and crystalline water. Be rejuvenated by green living made possible by solar power, spring water and fresh seafood caught daily.
Swimming with Whale Sharks in Donsol
Interact with whale sharks in a natural and environmentally responsible way. Enjoy the islands, beaches, waterfalls and lagoons of Ticao. Float down an enchanting river lined by trees ablaze with fireflies.