Escape Manila for a day and scratch your climbing itch on 40 to 80 foot limestone sport routes of 5.7 to 5.12b (French 5a to 7b).
Though not exactly near Manila – it is a good 5 hours away – Atimonan is the climbing destination of choice for Manila-based climbers because of its quality climbs, scenic surroundings and excellently maintained routes. Most of the routes are bolted and sport climbing is the norm, though a few trad routes can also be found. The climbing in general demands technique more than power, with no severe overhangs but with few jugs. The majority of the routes are face climbs, with a couple of crack climbs and one very enjoyable arête
Highlights and activities
- Climb on clean, solid limestone.
- Kick back and enjoy the fresh air and rural scenery.
- rock climbing
Day 1: To and back from Atimonan
We do an alpine start and take a bus from Manila at 3:00AM (we can start later if you want, but leaving this early will make the most out of your climbing day). This gets us to Atimonan at around 8:00AM and a 15-minute hike brings us to our first crag. After a quick review of climbing safety and procedures we start scaling the 80 foot wall. Ten bolted sport routes are on this wall, ranging from 5.7 to 5.12a (French 5a to 7a+). We take a break for lunch and in the afternoon have the option of returning to the same wall or taking a crack at any of 3 other walls. At around 4:00PM we start packing our gear and catch a bus back to Manila.
Safe climbing is 100% weather dependent and we will not climb in the rain. Although the rainy season in the Philippines is from July to October, rain can occur in any month. We will inform you of the weather forecast for your chosen climbing day and you may decide to postpone or cancel your trip up until 12PM of the previous day. Should you choose to cancel your trip due to weather, your payment will be refunded in full, less applicable credit card charges.
This adventure is offered from November to June. Contact us to schedule your Private Tour.
- Transportation from Manila to Atimonan and back.
- Group equipment (rope and quickdraws).
- Climbing guide.
- Personal equipment (harness, rock shoes and belay device).
- Food and drink other than lunch.
Price is already inclusive of VAT (value added tax).
- Though we gladly accommodate novice climbers, this trip is not meant for complete beginners. Your climbing guide will be happy to lead all the routes if you don't want to do any leading, but at least one person in your group must know how to belay a leader from his/her harness.
- Safe climbing is 100% weather dependent and we will not climb in the rain. Although the rainy season in the Philippines is from July to October, rain can occur in any month. We will inform you of the weather forecast for your chosen climbing day and you may decide to postpone or cancel your trip up until 12:00PM of the previous day. Should you choose to cancel your trip due to weather, your payment will be refunded in full, less applicable credit card charges.
- Yellow fever vaccination is required for entry to the Philippines if you are coming from a yellow-fever infected country; if you are not, this vaccination is unnecessary. The following vaccinations are recommended:
- Hepatitis A and B
- Japanese encephalitis
- Measles, mumps and rubella
Check out our other offerings
Taal Cruise Excursion: Taal Volcano, Tagaytay and Taal Heritage Town
Get a magnificent view of an active volcano within a huge caldera, see the country’s favorite weekend retreat and visit a historic town that survived the volcano’s last major eruption. This is the best trip you can take for your cruise stop in Manila.
Swimming with Whale Sharks in Donsol
Interact with whale sharks in a natural and environmentally responsible way. Enjoy the islands, beaches, waterfalls and lagoons of Ticao. Float down an enchanting river lined by trees ablaze with fireflies.
Heritage of the Cordillera: Banaue, Batad, Sagada
Trek through the Philippine mountain region and be awed by its natural and cultural heritage which include the famous Banaue Rice Terraces, quaint villages, sacred waterfalls and rivers, extensive cave systems, hanging coffins, and picturesque rock formations.
Anilao Scuba Diving Day Tour
Dive in the Philippines' most popular diving destination. See rich and colorful marine life only a couple of hours away from Manila. Private transportation included.