Enter the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River, explore the islands of El Nido on kayak, and discover why Palawan is in a league of its own when it comes to tropical destinations.
When Filipinos, people who live in a country of 7,107 islands and countless beaches, consider a place to be the epitome of tropical paradise, you know it must be something special. Palawan is exotic, even for Filipinos. Its geography and richness of flora and fauna are exceptional in a country that already has its fair share of amazing natural beauty. Nowhere else in the country can you float down a river flowing through an eight kilometer tunnel of karst or kayak amidst towering islands of sheer limestone walls that rise directly out of the sea. And yes, Palawan's beaches will make you wonder why you ever bothered with anything less perfect.
Highlights and activities
- Take a boat deep into the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River.
- See breathtaking limestone karst landscapes and forest ecosystems.
- Kayak and skin dive amidst El Nido's limestone formations.
- Explore El Nido's many islands, each with its own distinct features.
- caving / spelunking
- hiking / trekking
- kayaking / rafting
Day 1: Sabang
The group assembles at the Puerto Princesa airport and travels together to Sabang. We take a paddle boat through a mangrove to learn about this rich ecosystem. After having our fill of seeing monkeys, tree snakes and various birds, we walk to a secluded beach where we enjoy our first Palawan sunset.
Day 2: Puerto Princesa Underground River
We take an outrigger boat to the entrance of the Underground River then take a paddleboat deep into the river's tunnel, marveling at the unique environment and its many interesting formations. Then we hike through a jungle trail and try to spot monitor lizards. In the afternoon we walk to an ocean-side waterfall and, if we're lucky, watch sea turtles surfing waves.
Day 3: El Nido
We spend the morning traveling to El Nido. This gives us plenty of time to appreciate the scenery of inland Palawan. At El Nido we take a hike up one of its rock mountains and get a spectacular view of Bacuit Bay and its islands.
Day 4: Kayaking El Nido *
After taking some time in the morning to learn how to handle a sea kayak, we spend the whole day paddling amidst rock cliffs and sandy beaches. Every now and then we go ashore to better appreciate island features and to do some skin diving.
Day 5: The best of the El Nido Islands *
We load our skin diving gear onto an outrigger boat and set off to experience the wonders of the various Bacuit Bay islands. After a day of spectacular beaches, rock formations and lagoons, we reluctantly go back to El Nido town for our last night in paradise.
Day 6: Travel back to Puerto Princesa
Sadly, our adventure is at an end and we bid farewell to El Nido to drive back to the Puerto Princesa. Though our Uncharted Adventure ends when we arrive at the Puerto Princesa airport in the early afternoon, those who wish may spend some time seeing the city's attractions.
Day 4 or 5 backup: The Secrets of Mainland Palawan – In case the weather does not cooperate and we are unable to go out to sea on Day 4 or Day 5, we have an excellent backup plan: we hike to discover the little-known gems of the mainland such as rainforests, waterfalls and hot springs.
There are currently no set schedules for this tour. Tell us your preferred date and we'll open that date as a trip departure in which others can join.
Departures are guaranteed once two (2) persons sign up for the trip. If you are the only person to sign up for a scheduled departure, you have the option of getting a full refund, rescheduling to a guaranteed departure, or doing a private tour for an additional USD 600.00.
If you'd like to go on this adventure but there are no dates which suit your schedule, please contact us, and we will set up a group departure date for you. You can also do this trip as a private tour.
- All land and sea transportation for the duration of the trip.
- Five (5) nights accommodation at seaside cottages/inns.
- All fees associated with the specified activities
- Guiding service.
- Equipment for kayaking and skin diving.
- Two (2) packed lunches.
- Airfare to Puerto Princesa.
- Food and beverage other than two packed lunches. We will dine at inns and restaurants that your trip leader has pre-selected for their quality, and he will suggest local specialties. To give you the most flexibility however, we will let you order and pay for what you wish to eat. Allocate around PHP4,500 (about USD100 – don't forget to change your money beforehand!) for food and drinks for the entire trip.
- Travel insurance.
- Tipping. Tips to restaurant waiters, local guides, etc. are not expected but appreciated. Your trip leader can suggest an appropriate amount. Also, if you are happy with the service of your Trip Leader, a tip at the end of your adventure will be greatly appreciated.
Price is per person for a minimum group of two (2) persons.
Kindly contact us for information for smaller or larger groups.
Price is already inclusive of VAT (value added tax).
- This adventure involves some hiking and a lot of time in the water. You need not be in great physical shape, but you should be able to hike for two (2) hours on moderate terrain. We can teach you the basics of kayaking and skin diving (also known as snorkeling) but you should be comfortable in the water for you to enjoy this trip fully.
- You will need a large bag (preferably a backpack) that can hold all of your things for the duration of the trip. You will also need a good pair of hiking shoes, boots or sandals and another smaller pack (backpack, shoulder pack or lumber pack). Details on gear requirements and packing recommendations will be sent to you after you have booked your tour.
- Yellow fever vaccination is required for entry to the Philippines if you are coming from a yellow-fever infected country; if you are not, this vaccination is unnecessary. The following vaccinations are recommended:
- Hepatitis A and B
- Japanese encephalitis
- Measles, mumps and rubella
Check out our other offerings
Anilao Snorkeling Day Tour
Spend a day snorkeling three vibrant sites. See rich and colorful marine life only a couple of hours away from Manila. Private transportation and snorkeling gear included.
Anilao Overnight Scuba Diving Trip
Dive in the Philippines' most popular diving destination. See rich and colorful marine life only a couple of hours away from Manila. Private transportation, overnight accommodations and meals included.
Heritage of the Cordillera: Banaue, Batad, Sagada
Trek through the Philippine mountain region and be awed by its natural and cultural heritage which include the famous Banaue Rice Terraces, quaint villages, sacred waterfalls and rivers, extensive cave systems, hanging coffins, and picturesque rock formations.
Best of Batangas: Taal Volcano, Taal Heritage Town, and Anilao Marine Reserve
Trek up to the crater rim of an active volcano, marvel at the Filipino-Spanish architecture of preserved houses and churches and experience excellent snorkeling with rich marine life all within three hours of Manila.